Since 2000, Bof! have worked as a four-piece band specializing in traditional French and Breton music for dancing or listening to. During that time we have played in folk clubs, for dance groups and at festivals in England and France, as well as organising regular French and Breton dance workshops and public dances in East Anglia, as part of the Burybal group.
The band’s repertoire is mainly traditional music from Central France and Brittany, but
also includes compositions by members of the band and others.
We have made four CD recordings of our music: see our Music page.
- Phil Lyons Acoustic guitar, Bass guitar, Vocals
- Val Woollard Bagpipes, Recorder, Flute, Hautbois languedocienne, Bells
- Paddy Butcher Hurdy gurdy, Diatonic accordeon, Cas-Cas, Cajon, Vocals
- Simon Haines Diatonic accordeon, Hurdy gurdy, Vocals
Bof! can offer the following
- Concert spots: from 30 minutes to full-length folk club sets, for example 2 x 45 minutes.
- Bals incorporating dances from Central France: Bourrée, Schottische, Mazurka, Polka, Waltz etc.
- Breton Fest Noz: Gavotte, Hanter dro, An dro, Pach pi, Rond de Saint Vincent, Plinn etc.
- A comprehensive programme of French and / or Breton dance workshops from Beginner to Advanced level. Our instructors, Phil and Linda Lyons, are highly experienced dance teachers.
- French music workshops, including singing for accompanying French dancing
We have played at the following
- Festivals – Broadstairs Folk Week, Folk East, Ely, International Hurdy gurdy Festival (Youlgrave), On-y-va, European Music and Dance Festival (Leiston), Spanfest, Suffolk Folk Riverside
and in France
Anost, Festival du Pipasso, Verteillac, Poix de Picardie, .
- Dance groups – Pied a Terre (Norwich), On Bouge (London), Dansez Francais (Brighton), Danse Herts (Hitchin), Les Batons (Kent), Allez Dansez (Surrey), Cam French (Cambridge), Bury Bal (Suffolk), Prêt à danser (Colchester & Hadleigh Folk and Acoustic Music Nights) / Prêt a danser & Hadleigh Folk /
- Folk Clubs – Bury St Edmunds, Colchester, Eastbourne, Grayshott, Royston, Hadleigh Folk and Acoustic Music Nights, Faversham
If you wish to get in touch, you can find details on Contact page.