Our new CD has arrived: NOUVEAU recorded before during and after lockdown. See SHOP
In 2000, Bof! started playing as a four-piece band specializing in traditional French and Breton music for dancing or listening to. During that time we have played in folk clubs, for dance groups and at festivals in England and France, as well as organising regular French and Breton dance workshops and public dances in East Anglia, as part of the Burybal and Prêt à Danser groups. Breton singer Gwendal Moële became a full-time member of our line-up in 2018.
The band’s repertoire is mainly traditional music from Central France and Brittany, but also includes compositions by members of the band and others.
We have made five CD recordings of our music: see our Music page.
Bof! line-up left to right
- Val Woollard Bagpipes, Recorder, Flute, Desk bells
- Simon Haines Diatonic accordeons, Vocals
- Gwendal Moële Vocals
- Phil Lyons Acoustic guitar, Bass guitar, Vocals
Bof! can offer the following
- Concert spots – from 30 minutes to full-length club sets, for example 2 x 45 minutes.
- Bals – incorporating dances from Central France: Bourrée, Schottische, Mazurka, Polka, Waltz etc.
- Breton Fest Noz -Gavotte, Hanter dro, An dro, Rond de Saint Vincent, Plinn etc.
- Dance workshops – comprehensive programme of French and / or Breton dance workshops from Beginner to Advanced level. Our instructors, Phil and Linda Lyons, are highly experienced dance teachers.
- Music workshops accompanying French / Breton dancing
We have played at the following
- Festivals – Broadstairs Folk Week, Folk East, Ely, International Hurdy gurdy Festival (Youlgrave), On-y-va, European Music and Dance Festival (Leiston), Spanfest, Suffolk Folk Riverside
and in France
Anost, Festival du Pipasso, Verteillac, Poix de Picardie, .
- Dance groups – Pied a Terre (Norwich), On Bouge (London), Dansez Francais (Brighton), Danse Herts (Hitchin), Les Batons (Kent), Allez Dansez (Surrey), Cam French (Cambridge), Bury Bal (Suffolk), Prêt à danser (Colchester & Hadleigh Folk and Acoustic Music Nights) / Prêt à danser & Hadleigh Folk / On y va (Suffolk)
- Folk Clubs – Milkmaid, Bury St Edmunds, Colchester, Eastbourne, Grayshott, Royston, Hadleigh Folk and Acoustic Music Nights, Faversham, Islington
If you wish to get in touch, you can find details on Contact page.